Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

DVD Review: Greatest Superstars of the 21st Century




I apologize in advance for the spoilers!

On a water-logged night (thanks to Hurricane Irene), I had the pleasure of watchine WWE Home Video's Greatest Superstars of the 21st Century.  Overall, I give this video a five star rating.  Personally, this was one of the most anticipated home videos of the year (followed by the Randy Savage DVD). I can honestly say that I pre judged this video going in.  I thought it would just pay homage to the superstars we already know (Stone Cole, The Rock, HHH, etc.), and further push over the budding stars (Cena), and totally leave out prominent names who may have left the company for "greener" pastures.  However, I felt the WWE did a good job of including some of the superstars who made an impact other than the obvious ones.   The video highlights 20 superstars who stood out and had an impact in and out of the ring.  Without ruiing the video too much for those of you who have not watched it yet, I would like to mention some of the Superstars who stood out and I was glad they recognized:

KURT ANGLE:  What can you say about "The Wrestling Machine"?  I did not think they would include Kurt because of the circumstances behind his departure and the fact he is a prominent TNA personality.  Angle's run in WWE was epic.  Some of his best stuff was when he was paired with Stone Cold Steve Austin. Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt angle at Wrestlemania 22 is still one of the best Wrestlemania matches ever. Seeing him age Ric Flairishly on TNA is hurting me. Kurt has one of the lengthier segments on the video.  (Damn, I miss Team ECK)

CHRIS JERICHO:  Chris is one of my all time favorite wrestlers.  He is the first superstar profiled on the video.  He had to be included because of the timing of his WWE debut (2000) to usher in the new millennium of WWE...literally.  Eric Bischoff and WCW totally slept on this guy in the 90's.  So happy he got his due.

BOOKER T:  I'm glad he's included because I doubted WWE would consider him one of the top 20 of the 21st Century.   But, fans like us...we have always known.  Sorry for doubting you, WWE. 

EDGE:  Hands down a top performer of the 21st century.  'Nuff said!

EDDIE GUERRO:  Seeing Eddie's segment really brought back a lot of good memories.  I was a fan of his when he was in WCW, and seeing old Radicalz footage gave me goosebumps.  Long live Latino Heat!

WWE DIVAS:  Trish stratus and Lita set the bar high.  Mickie James and Victoria got NO love!  This segment had a very pleasant Melina commentary...miss her...and an Alicia Fox commentary as well...sigh...

The video is highly enjoyable.  It brought back a plethora of memories of great WWE bits and story lines (EVOLUTION) and some great promos (The Rock).  I highly suggest scooping this one up or watch it on Netflix.

Some Superstars left out:  Goldberg, Chris Benoit, RVD, Mick Foley (maybe he's too 90's), Mickie James, The Dudleys... 









No comments:

Post a Comment